The Windsor Knot is a thick, wide and triangular tie knot that projects confidence. It would therefore be your knot of choice for presentations, job interviews, courtroom appearances etc. It is best suited for spread collar shirts and it's actually quite easy to do.
While just about everyone can use this tie knot to tie his tie, it looks especially well on men with longer necks as its wide form shortens the perceived height of the neck a little bit.
To tie the Windsor Knot, select a necktie of your choice and stand in front of a mirror. Then simply follow the steps below:
1) Start with the wide end ("W") of your necktie on the right, extending about 12 inches below the narrow end ("N") on the left.
2) Then cross the wide end over the narrow end.
3) Bring the wide end up through the loop between the collar and your tie.
4) Then bring the wide end back down.
5) Pull the wide end underneath the narrow end and to the right, back through the loop and to the right again so that the wide end is inside out.
6) Bring the wide end across the front from right to left.
7) Then pull the wide end up through the loop again.
8) Bring the wide end down through the knot in front.
9) And -- using both hands -- tighten the knot carefully and draw it up to the collar.
Congratulations, you did it! You see, it is not rocket science after all. Simply keep practicing the Windsor Knot a few more times until you can tie this necktie knot within less than two minutes.